Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sound

OK, just gone the 'whole hog' and purchased some 'lower end' recording equipment for dialogue, foley and SFX. What amazed me was the RRP/list price for all this equipment. A recorder and microphone for over $1300. What further amazed me, thankfully because my boss at work is a musician, is just how much the equipment prices are marked up. In the end I got $700 off the list price..... Yes, I paid less than 1/2 the list price (that's also the manufacturers RRP/MRP).

So what did I buy? Well I have a Zoom H4n recorder and a Rode M3 Microphone.

Zoom H4n: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/
Rode M3: http://usa.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=M3

Originally I thought I would capture my sound via the iTouch. The iTouch is a digital recorder and my tests were promising but when you compare it to the 'proper' gear it is chalk and cheese. I test recorded my dog barking indoors in a noisy lounge room with TV on, A/C and noisy water pump going and human voices coaxing the dog to bark. All that I could hear in the playback was the dog barking - even between barks the recording was quiet and at 24bit/96khz, the playback freaked out the dog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment